In collaboration with the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC), the Wisconsin Department of Revenue (DOR) will award $420 million to small businesses impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic through the Wisconsin Tomorrow Small Business Recovery Grant program.
The program is intended to support businesses who are hardest hit by the pandemic and are key to Wisconsin making a strong recovery. Funding for the program is received from the federal government through the American Rescue Plan Act.
An individual or entity who operates a business may apply if all the following criteria are met:
- The business started operating on or before December 31, 2020, is still operating in 2021, and suffered an economic loss as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. An economic loss may be from lost revenue or increased expenses as a result of the pandemic
- The individual or entity filed its 2019 federal and Wisconsin income or franchise tax return
- The business has more than $10,000 and less than $7 million in annual revenues (gross receipts less returns and allowances) shown on their federal tax return
- At least 75% of the business’s value of real and tangible personal property owned or rented and used by the business is located in Wisconsin
- At least 75% of the amount of the business’s labor costs are incurred by individuals performing services for the business in Wisconsin
- The individual or entity must not be on one of the following lists:
- The business must not be a governmental unit or primarily engaged in any of the following North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes beginning with:
- 111XXX – Crop Production
- 112XXX – Animal Production or Aquaculture
- 5311XX – Lessors of Real Estate
- 813XXX – Nonprofit Organizations
To complete the application you will need:
- A complete copy of your business’s 2019 federal income tax return
- The business’s primary North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code
An individual or entity may only receive one grant, regardless of the number of business locations, divisions, or separate operations.
- Each spouse of a joint federal income tax return may receive a grant if each spouse owns and operates a separate business from the other spouse
- Each corporation within a federal consolidated group or a Wisconsin combined group may qualify independently of each other and apply separately for the grant
If your business already received a We’re All In Small Business Grant from WEDC or DOR you can still apply for the Wisconsin Tomorrow Small Business Recovery Grant, but only apply if the business meets the criteria described above.
Grants amounts are expected to be $5,000 per eligible applicant and can be used for any business operating costs, including but not limited to wages and salaries, rent, mortgages, and inventory, and/or for health and safety improvements. The DOR will issue payments by June 30. You may request to receive the money by direct deposit or have a check mailed to you.
To apply or for additional information related to the Wisconsin Tomorrow Small Business Recovery Grant you can review the FAQs page on the WI Department of Revenue website.